To facilitate Offline translation using Word I have created this small macro, which I call WordSRT.
- Download WordSRT.dotm
- Put into its place. This macro needs to be put into Word STARTUP folder. On most Windows machines the following variable should point to this folder %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
To open Word STARTUP folder in Explorer, click in the Explorer address bar, paste %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP there and press Enter. The folder should open and you can copy the WordSRT.dotm file there.
Once you restart the Word, you should have a new tab called WordSRT.
There are 4 functions available there:
- To Table - converts currently opened subtitles into a table. Useful for translation.
- To Table (Review) - converts currently opened subtitles into a table and loads also the subtitles which are found nearby. Useful for review.
- To SRT - converts current table into .SRT format and copies into clipboard.
- To Paragraph - converts current table into a single paragraph of text. Useful for grammar checking and overall text "flow".
Converts currently opened in Word .SRT file into a table and saves the new file.
To Table (Review)
Converts currently opened subtitles into a table and loads also the subtitles which are found "nearby". Useful for review. This is the most complex workflow, therefore in detail, step-by-step:
- Download the subtitles for English and for your language and put them into the same folder:
- Open English subtitles in Word:
- Click on WordSRT tab:
- Click To Table (Review) button
- After some flickering (magic is being done) the result should look like this, with placeholders (in red) for talk titles and description:
- After you copy-paste the title and description from the site, it should look like this:
Most languages should be recognized. If yours is not recognized, drop me a line, I'll support it.
Converts current table into .SRT format and copies that into a clipboard. Now paste your subtitles into your editor of choice (notepad, yeah?), save as ".srt" using UTF-8 encoding and upload to Amara.