What TEDx organizers can do for TED Translators
TED Translators are members of TED Community, just like you, who also spread the ideas by making them available in their local languages. This guide is meant for TEDx organizers who would like to appreciate TED translators and assist them in their mission to promote ideas cross-culturally and across languages.
What you can do with your team only?
You can do a lot!
Before the event:
- Offer a few tickets to TED translators from your local community, you can find them here: https://www.ted.com/participate/translate/our-translators (by how active they were in the project), here by location https://www.ted.com/people/translators
and here: http://amaratools.ted-ja.com/community_map/ (geotagged)
During the event:
- Show the What is TEDx? video with subtitles - TED Translators created them so that even people who don't speak English so well can understand the meaning, and so that you make the distinction between TED and TEDx clear to everyone: http://translations.ted.org/wiki/Playing_the_TEDx_intro_video_with_subtitles
- When you show TED talks (which is part of the license agreement) show them with your local language subtitles. (They are avialable for almost every TED talk)
- Please mention the OTP from the stage in some form
they are part of the TED family (and the event) too. Good news! There’s a recently premiered TED video you are encouraged to play that does the job :D Here is a ready made download source for TEDx organizers with subs (you need to choose the language in the player) the title is “Everybody can transcribe”: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BymUFFtXfLFfjUxbjl1d3I2SGl1WTNzSG5FQVIwZU4tdnNGYmppRkJzUi1tNFZOLUF1MnM&usp=sharing
After the event:
- Post a link on your Facebook or Twitter wall to the "How to sign up" video
What you can do with the help of an active TED translator?
Please see this article about creating a TED Translators and Transcribers community around TEDx events: http://translations.ted.org/wiki/Poland,_Warsaw,_Recruiting_volunteers_and_creating_an_OTP_Community