Revision as of 22:05, 26 August 2011 by Lidiacamara (talk | contribs) (→Dictionaries and definitions)
- 1 Wikipedia
- 2 Unit Conversion Tools
- 3 Multilingual Databases
- 4 English Language Resources
- 5 Language Resources: Dictionaries, Terminological Glossaries and Text Corpora
- 6 Transcription resources
- 7 Language Technologies
Wikipedia is a great translation resource, especially for technical terms. Come across a rare animal species in a translation? Look it up on Wikipedia in English and then switch to the page in your own language (assuming it exists). This will generally give you a state-of-the-art translation. http://www.wikipedia.org/
Unit Conversion Tools
There are lots of unit conversion tools on the internet. Found one that was particularly helpful? Mention it here!
- InterActive Terminology for Europe incorporates all of the existing terminology databases of the EU’s translation services into one interinstitutional database containing approximately 1.4 million multilingual entries.
English Language Resources
- Idioms Today is a database of English idioms and idiomatic expressions.
- The phrase finder is a database about the meanings and origins of English Phrases, Sayings, Idioms and Expressions
- Common Errors in English Usage by Paul Brians
Language Resources: Dictionaries, Terminological Glossaries and Text Corpora
- TransEdit dictionary links to online dictionaries (English and otherwise), including slang dictionaries.
- Try typing the words "define: word" into the Google box. It will show you definitions that are available online. This also works for other languages than English.
- Corpus resources: Corpora and electronic text databases to lists of available corpora and descriptions of individual corpus projects.
This wiki contains a guide to transcribing talks, which may be very useful for translators working on TEDx Talks.
This section is devoted to list the free language technologies which could help translators and reviewers to improve the quality of their work
Computer-Assisted Translation Tools (Translation Memories)
Machine Translation Systems