Revision as of 20:56, 4 August 2011 by Lidiacamara (talk | contribs) (→Dictionaries and definitions)
Wikipedia is a great translation resource, especially for technical terms. Come across a rare animal species in a translation? Look it up on Wikipedia in English and then switch to the page in your own language (assuming it exists). This will generally give you a state-of-the-art translation.
Unit Conversion Tools
There are lots of unit conversion tools on the internet. Found one that was particularly helpful? Mention it here!
- InterActive Terminology for Europe incorporates all of the existing terminology databases of the EU’s translation services into one interinstitutional database containing approximately 1.4 million multilingual entries.
English Language Resources
- Idioms Today is a database of English idioms and idiomatic expressions.
- The phrase finder is a database about the meanings and origins of English Phrases, Sayings, Idioms and Expressions
- Common Errors in English Usage by Paul Brians
Dictionaries and definitions
- TransEdit dictionary links to online dictionaries (English and otherwise), including slang dictionaries.
- Try typing the words "define: word" into the Google box. It will show you definitions that are available online. This also works for other languages than English.
- Corpus resources: Corpora and electronic text databases
to lists of available corpora and descriptions of individual corpus projects.
This wiki contains a guide to transcribing talks, which may be very useful for translators working on TEDx Talks.