Kevin Slavin: How algorithms shape our world
This is a page of resources and discussion for "Kevin Slavin: How algorithms shape our world"
About the speaker
Area/Code (his co-founded company) http://areacodeinc.com/people/kevin-slavin/
Materials on the slides
Michael Najjar http://www.michaelnajjar.com/ (Flash site. The photos of mountains are found under artwork - high altitude [2008-2010])
- http://www.nanex.net/20100506/FlashCrashAnalysis_Part4-1.html (Knife)
- http://www.nanex.net/FlashCrash/CCircleDay.html (The Carnival, Boston Shuffle, Twilight)
The Making of a Fly: The Genetics of Animal Design http://www.amazon.com/dp/0632030488
- Netflix Prize http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix_Prize
- Dinosaur Planet http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lmackey/dinosaurplanet.html
- Gravity http://www.gravityrd.com/gravity/news.php?id=13&gravity=&newsgroupid=4&lang=en
- Pragmatic Chaos http://www2.research.att.com/~volinsky/netflix/bpc.html
Aerial photo of New York
- The location of the photo is around New York City Hall: map
- The building labeled "CARRIER HOTEL" is 60 Hudson Street
- Other labels (Cherokee Nation, Bluegrass, Marco Polo, Blue Bandsaw, Frog Pond, TILT) are all names appear in the Nanex’s report "May 6'th 2010 Flash Crash Analysis"
Spread Networks http://www.spreadnetworks.com/about-us/vision-and-background
"Planetary-scale computing architectures for electronic trading" is a part of "Handbook of Electronic Trading" (In press). http://www.alexwg.org/
Terms and expressions
Algorithmic trading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading
all-in http://www.pokertips.org/glossary/w/ALL-IN "To bet all your chips, or to call with all your chips."
Boston Shuffle - This is name for a peculiar quote sequence and it’s taken from a juggling trick: video. Note that Slavin uses term "Boston Shuffler" instead of "Boston Shuffle".
The Crash of 2:45 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash
carrier hotel (colocation centre) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colocation_centre
rock saw images
Manifest Destiny http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny
Errors in the transcript
308 [fixed] 00:12:02,000 --> 00:12:05,000 like the Boston shuffler could. like the Boston Shuffler could. 250 [fixed] 00:09:40,000 --> 00:09:42,000 So none of this Misha Goss So none of this mishegas # "mishegas" or "mishugas" (alt. spelling) is a Yiddish word meaning "craziness" ... or a crazy mess, it's deep Jewish vernacular. --Slavin 279* [fixed] 00:10:48,000 --> 00:10:50,000 and you're five seconds behind, and you're five microseconds behind,
(* newly found one.)
This talk was held in Session 3 of TEDGlobal 2011 and TED translators attended to the conference were all in left front seats at the time. In the video of this talk, those translators in the audience appear on the screen frequently.